Originally built around 1914/1915 at 4516 Sunset Blvd. and known as the Majestic-Reliance Studios, within a few years, it became the home of D. W. Griffith and Mutual Pictures. The lot was then renamed the Fine Arts Studio. "The Birth of a Nation" (1915) and "Broken Blossoms" (1919) were partially or fully lensed at the studio. The sets for "Intolerance" (1916) were erected across the street where the Vista Theatre now stands (near the intersection of Hillhurst, Hollywood Blvd, and Sunset Drive.
Many Improvements Being Installed at the Famous Establishment at 4500 Sunset Boulevard.
Keen interest among Southern California motion picture folk has been aroused by the announcement that the Triangle-Fine Arts studio in Hollywood is soon to be reopened on a large scale. The studio formerly employed hundreds of performers, to say nothing of a large force of mechanics, clerks and laborers, and the news that it will become active again is welcomed in many quarters.
Recent additions to the Fine Arts studio at Hollywood have put that plant in excellent shape to take on a new lease of life under a new regime. A new central scene dock, 180 feet in length and 70 feet in width, has been built to house the elaborate interior settings that are to be utilized for forthcoming releases. On either side of the scene dock is a runway leading to each of the new stages, while a fleet of large baggage trucks with low wheels is employed to carry sets and properties to their destinations.
The new light studio just completed at the northern end of the property is up to the minute in every particular. It is said to have the highest roof and the best facilities for overhead lighting of any building of its kind on the Pacific Coast. Some idea of its unusual construction may be gathered from the statement that there is a distance of 48 feet from the floor to the first roof girder. A new electric generator has also been installed, and under the guidance of efficiency engineers, the entire plant has been overhauled.
In 1927, Tiffany-Stahl Productions took over the studio. In 1930, it became simply the Tiffany Studios and in 1932, it became the California Tiffany Studios.
With the demise of Tiffany around 1932/1933, the new owners of the lot renamed it Talisman Studios and rented the facility out.
In the 1950's, Columbia Studios gained ownership of the property. An early 1960's fire destroyed virtually all of the buildings except for one sound stage which remained until 1975. The former studio site is now a shopping center.